Why Research Works
What is a research study?
A research study is a very controlled, scientific way to improve or develop new methods of health care and new medications. Studies are designed to answer specific questions on how to prevent, diagnose, or treat diseases and disorders. Many types of research studies exist. For example, clinical trials test new medicines or devices. Other studies use interviews or surveys to understand health conditions or behavior.
Why are research studies important?
Research studies are important because they contribute to knowledge and progress on diseases and disorders. Research is the fastest and safest way to find treatments that work.
Without research studies there can be no better treatments, no prevention and no cure for some disease. Scientists work constantly to find enhanced ways to treat diseases, but improved treatments can never become a reality without testing in clinical trials with human volunteers.
What types of participants are needed?
Research studies need participants of all ages, genders, races, and ethnic groups. Some studies need healthy participants, while other studies need people with specific health problems.
Why should i join?
- to learn about ways to possibly improve your health
- to help in the evaluation of medications, tests, or programs that may not be available outside of research
- to potentially help others
- to further knowledge of scientific research and medical care
At NOLA Research Works patients have told us their decision to join a clinical trial was based on a variety reasons: some want to be proactive about their condition; some want the opportunity to share valuable insights about their condition with researchers in order to help others going through the same thing. Some can not afford the medications that are currently on the market. Some can not find a medication that is currently on the market that works for them.
Research Works because it empowers the patient to take their health into their own hands.
Research Works because it can give you :
- the opportunity to play an active role in your own healthcare
- access to an expert team that can give you a deeper understanding of your condition
- access to new research, or investigational medications
- additional care/tests specific to the trial
- the knowledge that you’re helping others
If we wish for the medications of the future to work on all of us we must ALL consider RESEARCH.
1241 South White Street
New Orleans, LA, 70125
NOLA Research Works, Copyright © 2018. All Rights Reserved